Monday, March 3, 2014

Out of Florida


I am writing this about two weeks after I finished work (back-logging), but I still want to talk about the experience I had, both at work and at home, in Florida.

I spent six months working in Florida, from September to February. I was fortunate enough to be hired for a position at my mom's company, which made lunch and transit a lot of fun. All of my coworkers were extremely kind and helpful and truly made me feel at home.

The position itself also provided great experience. I learned so much about database management and environmental regulation. I would probably never have been exposed to these aspects of my field and I now feel that I can offer a wider range of knowledge and experience as I apply for new positions in D.C.

While this was certainly an unexpected role and caused a six month separation from my fiancé, it was extremely valuable experience. It bridged the gap between my work at Virginia Tech and Matt's graduation. It allowed me to earn enough money to allow us to pick a fantastic apartment in Alexandria. It exposed me to topics and skills that are truly valuable in my field. While my time at Titan was short, it certainly was worth it and I'm not sure I could have made any better decision than to work there.

Next week my family and I will be in the Carribean as a sort of "last hurrah" before I leave for Virginia and to celebrate my dad becoming a realtor. Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment