Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Crockpot Creation: No-Fuss Mac n' Cheese


I will be the first to admit that I am not a good cook. A decent baker, but not a cook. I am consistently fantastic at burning food (and my fingers), letting pasta boil-over, and the fine art of permanently affixing food to tuperware through some sort of crazy food-adhesive physics. It is an talent that eludes me, so I decided to set the bar a little lower and try some recipes using only a crockpot.

The concept seems simple to me: you throw stuff in and meals pop out. One of our first housewarming gifts in Alexandria was a set of crockpot cookbooks from Matt's Grandma (thank you!). Together, we decided to try some of them out using a lot of ingredients that we already in our fridge and supplementing with small purchases from the grocery store (and tweaking the recipe to suit our needs and taste).

Our first try was "no-fuss" mac n' cheese. We already had all of the ingredients except for the pasta and made the fallowing alterations (because who doesn't want double servings of mac n' cheese?)

Pretty easy instructions, except that someone (me) forgot to double the milk. It came out very dry, but we found that if you put it in the microwave with a little water, it was actually really good! This made a TON of food, but it will provide nice lunches and sides for the week.



Our next attempt will be creamy chicken and vegetable soup. If I manage to not destroy our kitchen in the process, I will post the results (good, bad, or terrifying) when it is done.

Have you ever tried crockpot recipes? With or without success?

No comments:

Post a Comment