Monday, January 27, 2014

Boca Museum of Art


This past weekend, Matt (my brother) had his first college field trip and was allowed to invite me along. Of course I jumped on a chance to spend time with my brother, and it was an added bonus that it was to an art museum! Being a local, small museum, I really didn’t expect much from it, but I was excited nonetheless. It wasn’t until we entered that I would realise this was definitely going to be a lesson in quality, not quantity.

The museum hosted quite a few pieces, but it had some truly spectacular and unexpected gems. The first piece that stood out simply because I had seen it so many times was Andy Warhol’s famous prints of Marilyn Monroe. Yes, those prints, the ones that have been widely published, widely satirized, and widely known. I just kind of stood there gawking as all of Matt’s fellow students continued on. It was stunning to be faced with such a famous piece, even if it wasn’t really my cup of tea. I could still appreciate it’s historic and cultural value.


The whole point of the trip from Matt’s end was to pick five pieces that he liked and would later have to write about. I was enlisted as his photographer. I have to say it was really fun watching him ponder over different works, reject some and embrace others. Here were his five in the end:







I decided to play the game as well and chose five myself:






It was funny to see that, while we shared a favorite, there was still room for a lot of variety. Overall, it was a pleasant visit to a museum full of variety as well as some great sibling bonding time (which I view as important since I will be returning to Virginia soon).

Which of these pieces is your favorite?

1 comment: