Friday, January 1, 2010

Knitting in the New Year

Firstly, I appologize that this blog is coming a day late (even old souls have to celebrate the new year). So, as compensation, I will post two blogs today and (drum-roll, please) there will be photos in this blog!

So, yesterday (back in 2009) I did my first baking since starting the blog. I baked two loaves of sesame braided bread (pictured below). This was my second attempt to make this bread and, while the first attempt ended up having a nicer appearance, this batch tasted amazing. I don't know if it was the smell of baking bread drifting in the house or just how warm the bread was, but it tasted simply delicious and I can't wait to bake it again (as I'm sure the loaves won't last the day).
After baking, my family and I went to a New Year's Eve dinner at a wonderful italian restaurant (and for those of you whom immediately tought "Olive Garden", shame on you; that is not a wonderful italian restaurant). At dinner, I had real fish for the first time in my life ("real" as in not fish sticks). It was pan-seared flounder and it was one of the most delicious meals I've ever had. It was very mild and didn't have much of a fishy taste (which is normally what steers me away from seafood). Add in a cannoli for desert, and it was a very good meal.

After dinner, I was planning on writing my daily blog, but I was invited over one of my friend's houses to celebrate the New Year. We watched Paranormal Activity (which is every bit as terrifying as people claim; I shall not be sleeping for several weeks now) and then just sat and talked for a while. I found it so nice to be able to have fun with my friends at this age without them drinking or doing harmful activities. To just be able to sit, talk, laugh, and have a good time in and of itself is just...nice, and I am grateful to have such wonderful friends.


So, after talking for a little while longer, we watched the ball drop in Time Square, counted it down, and set off some poppers to ring in the New Year. After the excitement had died down and we toasted to a better year with our glasses of sparkling grape juice, we all settled in and just talked for several more hours ( I did not go to bed until 6 am; I'm writing this blog at 10:30 am ). While we were talking, I pulled out my knitting needles and yarn, much to the amusement of my friends and finished a good portion of the birthday scarf. Later on, my friend invited two of his friends over, whom I had not previously met, and I am now permanantly the "knitting girl" to them. All-in-all, it was a very fun night.

That's all for now. There will be another blog later today. Stay tuned!

Happy New Year!






1 comment:

  1. Yummy...that breads looks so amazing..I can almost smell it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete